Founder & Executive Director
Cops 'N Kids Reading Center, Inc.
Julia possesses a sincere positive spirit of community. She has gone about her daily tasks touching many lives in the City of Racine and has brought about exemplary changes in the lives of individuals and the community as a whole.
Julia was employed by Racine Unified School District as a Teacher's Assistant and Home/School Worker. She also worked eight years at Goodwill Industries Future Bound Program as Case Manager for disadvantaged youth, eventually becoming program supervisor.
In 1979, Julia started working for the City of Racine as a clerk in the Police Department, and became a police officer five years later. For 17 years she served her community, dedicated to changing the general perception of Police Officers in the eye of the public. She has spent a great deal of time trying to establish closer relationships between law enforcement officers and citizens, especially children.
Children are Julia's main focus. Knowing the importance of reading and its benefits, Julia founded the Cops 'N Kids Reading Center, Inc. The Cops 'N Kids Reading Center, Inc. provides free books to all children. Tutoring is provided to all enrolled children, particularly, families who more than likely do not have constructive/educational reading material in the home. She believes we can make progress by nurturing positive experiences in the lives of children.
Julia is available for speaking engagements.
You may call Julia directly at 262-994-4072.
- Featured in "Today's Black Woman" Magazine - January 2009
- Featured in "A Distinctive Style" Magazine 2009
- ABC World News Tonight's "Person of the Year" with Charles Gibson - December 2008
- Featured in Story on "Oprah's Angel Network" - December 1, 2008
- "Special Recognition" from Racine County Executive, William McReynolds - September 2008
- ABC World News Tonight's - "Person of the Week" with Charles Gibson - September 26, 2008
- Modern Woodman's "Hometown Hero" Award - September 2008
- Received "Women Putting Their Stamp on Metro Milwaukee" Award - USPS - 2008
- Milwaukee McDonalds Co-Op "Now that's Black History" Community Leadership Award - 2004
- FBI Director's "Community Leadership" Award - 2004
- Received Racine's First "ATHENA" Award - Racine YWCA - August - 2004
- Received Wisconsin State Assembly "Home Town Hero" Award - February - 2004
- Featured in Parenting Magazine - "Parenting Leader" Award - March 2003
- Featured in People Magazine - "Hero's Among Us Award" - December 2002
- Featured in "Women's World Magazine" - March 2002
- Featured in "Reader's Digest" - March 2002
- Featured in "People Magazine" - January 2002
- "Olympic Torch Bearer" for the Winter Olympics - January 2002
- "Sons of the Revolution" Award - 2001
- Six "Exemplary Officer" Awards - 1987, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2001
- Wisconsin Association of Women Police - "Officer of the Year" - 2000
- Wisconsin Professional Police Association - "Officer of the Year" - 2000
- Optimist International Racine-(Wed.) Optimist - "Law Enforcement" Award - 2000
- General Federation of Women's Clubs - "Theodora Youmans - Citizenship Award" - 2000
- "Friends of Education" Award - Racine Administrators Association - June 2000
- Featured in International Reading Association "Reading Today" Magazine - October/November 2000
- Featured on the Oprah Show-Recipient of the "Use Your Life" Award ($100,000) - September 2000
- Featured on NBC's "Today Show" - July 2000
- Featured in Court TV's "Badge of Courage" TV Special - 2000
- Featured in "Parade Magazine" - November 2000
- International Association of Chiefs of Police "Officer of the Year" - Honorable Mention 2000
- Wisconsin State Reading Association's - "Celebrate Literacy Award" Recipient - 2000
- Fourth of July "Parade Marshall" - 1999
- "Woman of the Year" - UW-Parkside - 1999
- NAACP - "Youth Advocate Award" - 1999
- "Paul Harris Stellar Award" - Racine Rotary - Downtown - 1999
- The Martin Luther King "Freedom Bell Award" - 1999
- Attorney General James E. Doyle's - State of Wisconsin "Officer of the Year" Award - 1998
- Five "Excellent Police Duty" Awards - 1986, 1990, 1990, 1994
- YWCA "Woman of Distinction in Human Services" - 1988
- WITI-TV6 "Jefferson Award" Nominee - 1987
- "Outstanding Young Law Enforcement Officer" - Racine Jaycees - 1986